Tuesday, September 27, 2011

learning to cook.

As many of you know, I am about to be married to my best friend in about 10 months. Everyone jokes with me that Jordan will be malnourished because I am a terrible cook haha mainly because I don’t know how to cook. So this semester, I am trying my best to learn how to cook for his sake! I have been impressed with the outcome so far, so my roommates and I decided to post our work, mainly as a food diary! Haha because we all know how much I love to eat, so why not document it?
So here is day one:
This turned out to be a perfect meal for the fall :)
Jordan, you won’t even recognize me! I'm so domestic!

Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew



Ingredients:
1 pound of chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces   
1/2 tsp table salt   
1/4 tsp black pepper  
 2 tsp canola oil     
5 cups cabbage
1 large red onion, thinly sliced   
2 garlic cloves, chopped     
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1⁄4-inch chunks     
1 1/4 cups chicken broth   
3/4 cups water     
1 cup frozen green peas or vegetables  
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 Tbsp flour  
Sprinkle the chicken with 1⁄4 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper.

Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.

Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the same pot, then add the cabbage, onion, and garlic. Cook, covered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage and onion are just tender, about 8 minutes. Return the chicken to the pot; stir in the sweet potatoes, broth, 1⁄2 cup of the water and the remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in the peas and oregano; heat through.


Combine the flour and the remaining 1⁄4 cup water in a small bowl until smooth. Add the flour mixture to the pot. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture bubbles and thickens, about 3 minutes.


1 comments:

Katie Maurer said...

This cooking escapade of yours has not only impressed me, but made me smile! (okay, it's true, any food makes me smile ;P) Our stew was perfect for Autumn!

Post a Comment