Wednesday, March 2, 2011

“I have a question…”

Why is it that I have been in Sydney for one week now, yet still feel just as confused about life as I was when I first got here? Haha not going to lie, you see the word tourist written all over my forehead (not that the maps in my hand are any indication). Taking the bus to and from EVERYWHERE you go is a lot more difficult then I would have imagined. Not only am I running to the bus stop everyday because I frequently miss my bus, I have to hail a bus and I am practically waving like an idiot at the driver so he stops, but I also have to read stupid time tables to figure out where I am even going. Its difficult to plan where you are going because I have NO idea where each bus leads you, haha like I can’t even remember what direction I live from the city! Due to my lack of knowledge in the transportation field, or anything foreign more or less, I constantly have to ask for help. Everyone here makes fun of me because I walk up to strangers always saying the exact same thing. “Um excuse me! I have a question.” Then I ask my question. Haha never realized before today how dumb that sounds! I have a question!??! Haha no duh, that’s why I am coming to the person for help in the first place! The locals have to think I am seriously the dumbest blonde alive, but that’s not the issue!! I can’s stop saying that when I ask any sort of question. It’s like a bad habit or something, so now that I am thinking about it, and it comes out of my mouth, I start laughing, making myself look even dumber!
Today I have had many moments where someone could look at me and truly question if I was legit dumb. It all started with a bathroom. I walk into the bathroom at school and shut the stall door. Normal, right?! (So the locks on the doors here turn to lock, so you cant just slide the lock in and out.) I go to lock the door, and as soon as it locks, the handle broke and fell out!! Haha not even joking, it was laying on the ground in front of me! I tried to slide the lock, but oh wait, you need to handle to get out! Haha so I am going to the bathroom laughing to myself when I hear Kristin in the bathroom too, so I explain what just happened. I was like great, now I am going to have to crawl under the stall door, and she goes look down. Haha the crack from the bottom of the door to the floor was only 3 inches big…couldn’t even fit my head under there! So I started to panic I was going to be locked in the bathroom stall and would have to kick the door down or something. Seriously, lets be real! Can you picture me kicking down a door?! Lol um no! Something bad would happen. Long story short, I somehow managed to push the gears in and unlock the door, haha but it was traumatizing because I was stuck in there alone with a spider right next to me!
So, this evening a group of us all met up for dinner and then headed to Max Brunner, the most amazing Chocolate PALACE in the whole world! But, before I got to heaven on earth, we were eating and went to pay. One thing you have to understand about Australia is their currency is so weird. They have like $2 coins that are the size of pennies and 20 cent pieces the size of a half dollar. I often have money in my hand and have to ask the cashier for help. But tonight I thought I had it covered. I open up my wallet and hold up a small coin and asked my typical question. “um, I have a question. Is this a $5 coin?” All the girls started dying laughing and I had no idea why! Haha then I look down and I am holding a nickel! A NICKEL!! Haha for real, how do I even pass school? I am blaming it on the heat and my exhaustion from taking the bus everywhere! Like I am concerned for my own well-being. It is a miracle I am still alive!
But, this night was full of laughs that made me feel a little better about myself. My favorite story of the night I have to write about is when we were talking about embarrassing stories when we felt dumb, or were actually dumb. Our friend Amanda then shared a story that I will always remember, just thinking about it is making me laugh. She said in high school she had a boy sit next to her everyday and he would stare at her all the time. She wasn’t afraid of confrontation, so one day, she decided to march up to him preparing to shut him down. She goes, “excuse me, I noticed you have been staring at me for a couple weeks now, and I know you have a crush on me.” Before she could continue what she was saying, he interrupts her and goes “oh I’m sorry! I have a lazy eye that wonders and I don’t know where it is looking sometimes!” We were dying laughing, like so hard I almost threw up!! Haha who says that?! But you have to love her! Needless to say, she made me feel way better about myself!
Haha moral of the story, the whole “I have a question” thing, and then assuming people are willing to listen, isn’t always a good way to approach someone; especially if you are approaching them in regards to having a crush on you. At least before you do, make sure they don’t have wondering eyes lol.


1 comments:

Luke Rice said...

Haha dont worry about it. I was always along dumb questions because I lived in a house by myself and had nobody to figure things out with. You need to have potato wedges with sweet chili and sour cream, if you haven't yet. Also you should check out Ken Duncan's gallery down in the Rocks. Awesome stuff.

Post a Comment